What’s different about the 2016 proposal and the last one in 2012.
- Community concerns regarding safety risks the same
- Negative impact on tourism opportunities for the region the same
- Negative impact on the existing users the same
- Adverse impact on the habits and accessibility to all fauna the same
- Lack of a management plan for Snake Island the same
- No benefit to the local community the same
- Population of hog deer was estimated at between 500 -1000 now 500
- Proposed period of the balloted hunting increased from two months (June -July) to four months (Feb – May) ie the peak fishing/ tourist season
- Number of hunters increased from 24 (4 x groups of 6) to 64 (8 x groups of 8)
- Maximum number of hog deer to be taken increased from 48 to 128
Last time the proposal was rejected and this time it has been approved without any community consultation.
Please sign the petition on change.org and share with your networks